Hello--

I queried our listserv (CLAS-talk) to find out some of their impressions about using telephone interpreting services, and here is a sample of responses we received:

Israel is taking its first steps in professional linguistic access to health
services. The first telephone medical interpreting service operates since
2007 by an NGO -  Tene Briut, an association that promotes the health of
Ethiopian-Israeli immigrants. The Ethiopian-Israeli community numbers about
120,000 persons, and there are strong ties between its members. Some clinics
employ health mediators, who also serve as face-to-face interpreters.

>From our experience, patients might prefer telephone interpreting when
speaking about urological/gynaecological problems, sexual functioning
problems,  psychological distress, or any problems they don't want the
community to know about (HIV/ unplanned pregnancies etc.)
The service is also useful in cases of emergency (911 call centers), when
there is no time to use face-to-face interpreter. Our challenge in the
latter case is to inform the community of the possibility of getting an
interpreter when calling 911, in addition to  general lack of knowledge
about consuming emergency services. .

>From the providers' point of view, we encourage using the telephone for
short, bureaucratic issues (in the clinic's office, for example) - thus
enabling health mediators (where available) to concentrate in health
education. However, 75% of our users are physicians, so we have to put more
efforts in convincing other health care professionals to use the telephone
service.

And last - telephone interpreting is preferable in large medical centers
(secondary and tertiary medicine), where the relatively small number of
Amharic-speaking patients  will never justify the employment of face-to-face
interpreters.

Michal Schuster
Tene Briut

------------

Dear All,
         Australia has a well established telephone interpreting service that is
provided free of charge to health services.
See: Huang, Y.-T. and C. Phillips (2009). "Telephone interpreters in general
practice - Bridging the barriers to their use." Australian Family Physician
38(6): 443-446.
New Zealand piggy backs onto this with Language Line which is a government run
telephone interpreting service.

Both the Australian and New Zealand service find an interpreter on demand. This
has the major advantage of being able to get an interpreter for managing acute
presentations (as opposed to appointments) For New Zealand given that most of
the interpreters are in Australia the anonymity is a clear advantage.

It is also cheaper than on site interpreting and New Zealand does not provide a
sufficient budget to use on site interpreters a lot.

In our practice a Not for profit primary care service with a large proportion of
people from a refugee background we use 4 types of interpreting:

Family members ( a recent audit suggested that we use them for about 50% of our
interpreting and 70% of the time this works fine)
Employed on site interpreter; We employ an interpreter who covers one of our
larger ethnic groups. Thisworked well all the time in the audit and is an
interesting finding as this interpreter does provide some cultural brokerage as
well as interpreting.
Face to Face interpreters for arranged appointments
Telephone interpreters.

In my experience telephone interpreters have to be well quality controlled
because it is much harder managing an interpreter who is not performing ideally
if they are on the phone.

The other factor is the complexity of the consultation. Telephone is ideal for
transmission of simple messages, change of warfarin dose for example. Completely
inappropriate for telling a patient that they have a fatal disease.

Does anyone have any published information in this area?

Regards
Ben Gray
University of Otago
Wellington
New Zealand

----------------

Thanks for adding these UK messages to our distribution Julia.  From my
perspective in Northwest Ohio, the description offered below distinguishing
between use of telephonic interpreting on the coasts versus the rest of the US
is spot on!  Unfortunately, in our region, the alternative to telephonic
interpreting is not face-to-face interpreting.  It's not having any acceptable
form of interpreting.  So yes, in our case, it is preferred!   -shb

----------------

For several years now, I've used telephone as well videoconferencing and
live onsite translation.

I can say that as a clinician, given the preference, I would prefer a live
onsite interpreter. However, when I am tasked to have only a telephone
interpretation, I will tailor the questions differently to minimize the
chance of the patient being unable to answer.  In other words, the clinician
should ask a question that an answer can be given or the answer is probable.

Richard Hom, OD, MPA
Linkedin "Richard Hom"

---------------

I recently attended a seminar on Somalia refugees and sensitive services.
According to the patients,  they would feel more comfortable with a
telephone interpreter than someone in the room during prenatal, post natal
and other sensitive services.  They would always prefer a female
interpreter, but a telephone interpreter was overall preferred over an
additional person in the room.  This was especially true when female
circumcision was part of the considerations.

Diana M. Carr
Health Net of California

---------------

Best regards,

Julia

Julia Puebla Fortier, Director
Resources for Cross Cultural Health Care
www.DiversityRx.org

and CoProducer
National Conference Series on
Quality Health Care for Culturally Diverse Populations
www.diversityRxconference.org