From: GMC Events [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tue 25/05/2010 09:56
To: undisclosed-recipients
Subject: End of life care guidance launched

Our new guidance Treatment and care towards the end of life: good practice in decision making comes into effect from 1 July 2010.

The guidance has now been publicly launched and can be viewed on the GMC website at www.gmc-uk.org/end_of_life_care  For a hard copy of the guidance please call +44 161 923 6602 or email [log in to unmask]

We very much appreciate all the advice and help we have received during the development of the guidance. This input has helped shape the advice we have published.

Equality, dignity and respect for the individual are key themes in the guidance. It also emphasises that improving communication between doctors, patients and their family and carers and the healthcare team is vital to providing good care towards the end of life. Important additions to the new guidance include:

*	Advice on advance care planning and responding to requests for treatment
*	Handling decisions involving neonatal and infant care
*	Approaching discussions about organ and tissue donation
*	Doctors' responsibilities to the patient after death
*	Making decisions on clinically assisted nutrition and hydration.

We would like to draw your attention to the content of a discussion pack; containing tools designed to help doctors relate to, and identify where, this guidance can assist in making decisions about the care of patients nearing the end of life.

The discussion pack has been developed to encourage awareness of the guidance, promote discussion and provide an insight into the practical application of its content. Many of the tools contained in this pack are available on line at http://www.gmc-uk.org/guidance/news_consultation/7046.asp

The tools not on the website are attached to this email along with the suggested guidelines on their implementation. We hope you will assist in promoting these resources locally to those you consider will find them useful.

If you have any questions about this pack, or would like support on promoting the guidance locally, please call the External Relations team on 0207 189 5314.

With best wishes

Jane O'Brien
Assistant Director, Standards
General Medical Council

General Medical Council

3 Hardman Street, Manchester, M3 3AW

Regents Place, 350 Euston Road, London, NW1 3JN

The Tun, 4 Jacksons Entry, Holyrood Road, Edinburgh, EH8 8AE

Regus House, Falcon Drive, Cardiff Bay, CF10 4RU

9th Floor, Bedford House, 16-22 Bedford Street, Belfast, BT2 7FD

The GMC is a charity registered in England and Wales (1089278) and Scotland (SC037750)