We have both services and having read the discussions you cannot just exclusively have telephone interpretation and there are as always sensitive cases etc where a face to face is needed such as safeguarding, mental health, child health, complex assessments. What we did at NHS Peterborough is introduce a mandatory criteria for use of face to face for exceptional use only and wider us of telephone therefore achieved substantial efficiency in use of both services and indeed cost efficiency.  We have also introduced authorisation process for all face to face which has also worked well.  Also importantly you must ensure staff are trained in understanding how best and multiple ways of using telephone and at which point it gets expensive.  Equally they need to understand the costs of face to face they may be incurring for short, simple consultation which can easily be done over the phone at anytime (avoids DNA, cancellation and oncosts fees that face to face would incur). Hope this helps. Geeta

From: Jane Fountain [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 20 May 2010 10:39
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Criteria? RE: Telephone interpreting

What worries me is that when, for instance, a non-native English speaker is being questioned about their mental health problems by an English speaker, the patient's standard of English has to be exceptionally good for all the nuances to be picked up by both sides.  How many classes does that take???  And this is before other aspects of cultural competence are considered!

I studied French at a grammar school, 3 times a week for 6 years, but would find it very difficult to explain something in French such as what was wrong with a car, let alone a mental health or drug use issue (OK, this was in the 1960s and I failed my French GCE, but hope you get the point!).

Jane

Jane Fountain

Professor of Substance Use Research

International School for Communities, Rights and Inclusion (ISCRI)

University of Central Lancashire

Preston, UK