Hi Jackie

I appreciate what you say, and certainly Mehrabian's work was specific and a
long time ago - being seminal - but it describes the reasons for
interpreters having very specific difficulties when working by phone. I
don't say working by phone shouldn't be attempted, but that it is not
necessarily a good plan to allow ourselves to turn entirely to the
telephone. In long term situations such as family therapy or mental health
care provision the influence of context and local knowledge are important.
So is continuity of professional relationships. I think it's time to follow
up on the "when and how to choose the modality" conversation in a structured
way. Izabel's guidelines to good practice are very helpful, however there
may also be considerations about local knowledge. One of the advantages of
telephone interpreting is the 24/7 availability of professional interpreters
within seconds. Fine. But in many situations it matters that they know
something about how the NHS is structured and operates and it is surely
important that they have a known level of accredited professional
competence. We still face this accreditation difficulty in the UK but bona
fides are more easily checkable. I think until there is greater coherence
and international agreement on accreditation we should be a bit cautious.
The USA and Australia have similar professional structures and
accreditations in place to us but they are in reality no more widespread
there than here (or that is my impression, though Australia is a lot further
ahead than we are having had the wit to start much sooner.) Many untrained
persons are still operating as interpreters for a fee, pretty well
everywhere.

The reasons for that (in the UK at least) are lack of affordable or
accessible training, poor rates of pay putting training out of reach, and a
thriving grey market requiring no level of professional responsibility of
the interpreter.  If you check out the meaning of the word "profession" you
will find a range of dictionary definitions from "An occupation requiring
special training in the liberal arts or sciences esp. one of the three
learned professions, law, theology or medicine" to "Employment, faculty or
office which a person has and exercises for payment." Or "Occupation that is
also carried out by amateurs" e.g. being an actor or footballer. You will
even find 'professional' defined as "Said of a person who carries out any
activity, including illegal ones, from which he makes a living" as in
professional car thief/conman etc. So we need to be clear about what we
mean, in an unregulated 'profession'. What are we looking for and how do we
know when we've got it? It's not a call that hard pressed medical
practitioners can answer directly themselves but we can at least all know
what we want and say so.

I think we mustn't rush into things thinking we've found a 'fix', because
fixing this is going to take time and policy. Here's a little thing I wrote
a long time ago, for those who can be bothered with it. It's not an academic
paper but a short presentation which may be of interest. The quotes are in
it.

Sorry.  One of my hobby horses too!

Jan