Dear all,

Apologies for cross posting this.

I really need some advice and support here - I'm almost in tears!!

The Trust I work for has identified that we're having an increased number of women diagnosed with breech presentation in established labour, and are exploring the implementation of scanning all nulliparous women on admission in labour to confirm presentation!!

My view is that we need to look at why the presentation isn't being confirmed  PRIOR to labour if there's a query about it (e.g USS), and then if breech presentation is confirmed offering appropriate counselling and ECV. IF a woman chooses to have a CS for breech presentation it's better that she gives true consent (not in labour) and that it's done electively and calmly rather than her being 'encouraged' to have an emergency CS in labour.

Have any other Trusts identifed this as a problem? does anyone have any teaching or assessment tools that they use which would support the midwives and obstetricians to decrease the number of breech presntations that are missed prior to labour?

Any other thoughts on this?

Best wishes,

Belinda