The provision of an adequately trained and resourced health workforce is essential if a population's health needs are to be appropriately met. Achieving a number of the Millennium Development Goals (MDG) relies on having a skilled, competent and functional health workforce. Workforce shortages, international migration, fragmented health systems, recruitment and retention issues and changing roles are just some of the areas that affect the health workforce globally. Maternity care is not exempt from these challenges.

As a result, we wish to publish a Special Issue of Midwifery on the maternity workforce, publishing papers that examine the maternity workforce from different angles, different levels and from a range of disciplines, and that investigate the relationship between maternity workforce, quality, safety and productivity.

For further details of the Special Issue please read the Editorial in the June 2010 issue at www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/02666138

This Special Issue will be launched at the International Confederation of Midwives (ICM) conference in Durban, South Africa in June 2011.

We would like to invite authors to submit their full manuscripts for consideration to Midwifery at

http://ees.elsevier.com/ymidw by 15 September 2010.
Submit under Special Issue: maternity workforce

Elsevier Limited. Registered Office: The Boulevard, Langford Lane, Kidlington, Oxford, OX5 1GB, United Kingdom, Registration No. 1982084 (England and Wales).