Dear collegues,

Thank you for all your thoughts and considerations on our topic < Shortage
of midwives > on the Virtual Day of the Midwives- and this is part of the
things we talked about:

Situations, examples;

-          Midwives staying and leaving the profession

-          Economic cut-down of staff in education and practice because of
low numbers of students

-          Shortage of health care personal to fill in: systems are being
served, but women not

-          Midwifery role and work determined by  others, with different
philosophies

-          Recruitment problems

Solutions, for example.

-          E-(man/) profession-cipation of midwifery, and defined specific
midwifery profiles

-          Midwives should be "with women"

-          Autonomous professional role and "entity" of midwifery- as well
as decisional presence within national and international decisional bodies

-          Not only career plan, but keep midwifery-academics (eg. PhD) in
the profession, so that they work for the profession (backing up and being a
back up)

-          Improvement of conditions of work, and value of midwives and
midwifery (WHO 2008)

Particularly for Eduction, I also like to draw your attention on the
information of Atf Gherissi, also part of the ESC, on Sarah Stewart's blog:
http://sarah-stewart.blogspot.com/2010/05/shortage-of-midwives-situations.ht
ml

I was quite thrown over by all the topics I heard in a short time, varying
from  < burn out > to < the need for people care >  and a  "new midwife",
and  hope this discussion will continue on national and international
levels.

Kind regards

Ans Luyben

Co- Chair Education Standing Committee ICM

---------------
Leiterin Forschung & Entwicklung/ Dienstleistung Hebammen

Head Research & Development/ Consultancy Midwifery

Berner Fachhochschule BFH

Fachbereich Gesundheit

Murtenstrasse 10

3008 Bern