Thank you Clare! I'll write off list as well. warmly, Carolyn

Carolyn Hastie
Senior Lecturer
Program Convenor
Graduate Diploma Midwifery
Bachelor of Midwifery
PhD Candidate
School of Nursing and Midwifery
The University of Newcastle
RW 249
Richardson Wing
Phone: +61 2 49216347
Mobile: 0418428430

>>> "Maxwell, Clare" <[log in to unmask]> 18/05/2010 7:17 pm >>>
Dear Carolyn,

I am a midwifery lecturer at Liverpool John Moores University in England
and teach the majority of skills for the midwifery programme. We have
just invested in the NOELLE birthing mannequin and its brilliant. You
can use it with basics such as pulse, BP, giving injections, right up to
managing a major pph, eclamptic fit and shoulder dystocia. You can also
resuscitate the baby.

In addition we are hoping to purchase the 'Kristine Kettle' perineal
suturing trainers, they are by far the best ones and designed by a
midwife as well! You can get birthing balls and birthing pools from ebay
really cheaply, and we also have a couple of abdomens to enable the
students to practice palpation.

Re: nursing skills, we have equipment for baseline obs, injections (you
can reusable pads to inject in to), aseptic technique, handwashing (the
Glo and Tell lightbox is great) bags of fluids and giving sets (obtained
from local hospitals when expired) and venepuncture arms to practice
taking blood out of (again blood bottles obtained from local hospitals
when they have expired)

Breastfeeding - we use balloons to practice hand expression (get the
students to blow them up and draw the anatomy on them) but if you have
anyone who knits they can download the pattern for the knitted breasts
which when stuffed are really helpful. (obtain pattern from:
www.lcgb.org/ )

If I come across anything else I'll let you know

Many Thanks

Clare Maxwell (RM MSc DPSM PGCert in HE)

Senior Lecturer Midwifery

0151 231 8159