Same in the Netherlands. We had a beautiful one in the St John in ‘s
Hertogenbosch, and they sold it to the V&A.

Henk

Van: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] Namens Jon Cannon
Verzonden: dinsdag 18 mei 2010 7:27
Aan: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: Re: [M-R] statues over choir entrance

Presumably none of these are in the location of the rood itself? I can't
imagine *that* ever happening -- but what goes on below the rood could vary
in design, as Maddy says, and carry carvings of various kinds, including
statuary. In many (most? all?) cases there was a nave altar in front of the
screen, which would also attract fittings (perhaps statues?). And yes, it's
hard to imagine a church too small to have a screen of some description.

Not quite on-topic, but I always find the scale of the destruction of the
rood itself in England astonshing - there must have been thousands of the
things, yet not a single complete example survives.

Jon

--

Mobile:
07768 234168