Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 08:10:44 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] statues over choir entrance
To: [log in to unmask]

As far as we can see from the poetic evidence the Llanbeblig Trinity was actually on the top beam of the rood screen. The Penrhys example is less clear but one of the poets describes the statue of the Virgin as receiving gold 'ar eu gwrhyd' and one of the meanings of gwrhyd is rood.
I've seen several European examples of roods with other figures on either side of the central three in the rood beam - could that be what you are looking for, Meg?

Maddy

Dr Madeleine Gray
Reader in History
School of Education/Ysgol Addysg
University of Wales, Newport/Prifysgol Cymru, Casnewydd
Caerleon Campus/Campws Caerllion,
Newport/Casnewydd  NP18 3QT Tel: +44 (0)1633.432675

'We are not bound to win but we are bound to be true' (Barack Obama)