On Monday, May 3, 2010, at 9:50 am, I wrote:

> 1)  Philip and James (the Less), apostles (d. 1st cent.).

Putative relics of P. and J. have been in Rome's church of the Holy Apostles since its initial construction in the pontificates of Pelagius I (556-561) and John III (561-574).  Here's a view of their present tomb in the crypt:
http://tinyurl.com/27nlhvj

A portion of what is believed to be P.'s skull is said to have been brought to Cyprus from Constantinople in 1204 very shortly after that city's capture in the Fourth Crusade.  Here's a view of it on display in an eighteenth-century reliquary case in the monastery of the Holy Cross at Omodos (Limassol prefecture) in the Republic of Cyprus:
http://tinyurl.com/2fjpd4a

Three further depictions of Philip:

a)  P. as depicted ca. 1300 in a fresco attributed to Manuel Panselinos in the Protaton church on Mt. Athos:
http://tinyurl.com/2csbl95

b)  P. baptizing the Ethiopian eunuch (Acts 8:38) as depicted in the earlier fourteenth-century frescoes (betw. 1335 and 1350) in the nave of the church of the Pantocrator at the Visoki Dečani monastery near Peć in, depending on one's view of recent events, the Republic of Kosovo or Serbia's province of Kosovo and Metohija:
http://tinyurl.com/25u8p5d

c)  The Spirit of the Lord catching P. away (Acts 8:39) as depicted in the earlier fourteenth-century frescoes (betw. 1335 and 1350) in the nave of the church of the Pantocrator at the Visoki Dečani monastery near Peć in, depending on one's view of recent events, the Republic of Kosovo or Serbia's province of Kosovo and Metohija:
http://tinyurl.com/267hvl4

Best again,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]