Dear colleagues

Please see below an appeal from one of the Granada Centre's alumni now working with Somali refugees at a camp in the Yemen. Essentially, they are asking film-makers to donate copies of their work to be used for educational purposes exclusively within the camp. This is a most worthwhile and genuine project, and I would urge you to support it as the Granada Centre shall be doing. Johanne herself speaks Arabic and has extensive experience in the Yemen. If you'd like to see her 2009 graduation film on Yemeni poetry as a vehicle for political debate, see her Men of Words at http://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/disciplines/socialanthropology/visualanthropology/archive/mafilms/2009/

sincerely, Paul Henley
Professor of Visual Anthropology
Director, Granada Centre for Visual Anthropology
Anthropology, School of Social Sciences
University of Manchester M13 9PL

Dear filmmakers of the world,
We are a small group of people who are about to set up a cinema in the Somali refugee camp Al-Kharaz in the Yemeni desert, where more than 13.000 refugees reside. The project will be realized in collaboration with the United Nations and ADRA, and aims at establishing a creative learning environment for both refugees and aid workers. Screenings will be integrated in the general educational program, but there will also be screenings of films of a more entertaining character. We believe that living images from all over the world are inspiring to everybody and we hope you will share your love for films and contribute to this project by donating one or more of your works.

We are looking for a wide range of films on all kinds of topics; documentaries, feature films, animations and cartoons. We will send you a contract when we hear from you, which states that your film will only be shown in Al-Kharaz refugee camp, and only as a part of this project.

We would be grateful if you would forward this message to your network, and appreciate advice and suggestions on how to improve the project.

For more information and donations please email: [log in to unmask]
We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Best wishes,
Johanne Haaber Ihle
Visual Anthropologist

Phone: +45 5288 5458