Hi Lynn

Seb Chan's great work with Google Analytics over the last few years could
provide you with some clues. Basically speaking, Google Analytics measures
visits differently from traditional log-file based systems. It's normal to
get around 35 to 45% less visits when using GA, compared to your previous
method.

Have a look at Seb's 2008 Museums and the Web paper here:
http://www.archimuse.com/mw2008/papers/chan-metrics/chan-metrics.html

There are many more of his articles and papers about this on the web in
various places - try looking at Fresh and New:
http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/dmsblog/

Graham Davies and Dafydd James from National Museum Wales also did a
detailed paper at MW2010 - might be worth reading up on this too:
http://www.archimuse.com/mw2010/papers/davies/davies.html

GA is becoming the industry standard for simple live web measurement tools.

All the best

Jon Pratty
Relationship Manager, Digital and Creative Economies
Arts Council England
+441273 763037
07872419194