At 04:31 PM 5/19/2010, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
>I don't understand the argument with respect to literature:
>Don't we study literature because it's interesting, fun,
>enlightening about the human condition, ... .

You don't seem to have much contact with people
who are assigned to teach literature as a required course.
What you say is true to you and to me, and true to those students
who find literature interesting, fun, and enlightening.
</tautology>

The issue arises when a lit course is a requirement,
and, for example, a mathematics student is required
to read Paradise Lost, who finds it dull, tedious, and boring.
One is then in the position of attempting to convince
the student that the course is not a waste of time --
very like attempting to convince some lit majors
that trigonometry is interesting, fun, and enlightening.

Or am I again guilty of argument by analogy?
Nolo contendere.

Martin C. Tangora
University of Illinois at Chicago