From: UK medical/ health care library community / information workers [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Norrey Barbara (5PX) Mid Essex PCT
Sent: 11 May 2010 14:48
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: using everyday concepts to explain Boolean operators

Without wishing to be a killjoy - should we not be giving our trainees a little more credit ?

Surely the only point that needs to be made is that AND combines and focuses (retrieving only when both words appear) and that OR has a wider scope (retrieving when both or either one appears).

Does it really matter whether the items are saucepans and lids, tomatoes or peppers, hats/nurses/pizzas/hospitals.....and so on ? It is the singularity and the plurality that matter.

It is surely not that difficult a concept to explain that searching anywhere for 2 things 'together' (x and y) will probably retrieve smaller results than looking for items either 'together' or 'apart' (x or y) ?!

best Barbara