Hi Lynne,

Thanks for clarifying both  this and the magnified search strings.

Interestingly google automatically brackets the OR terms which can add to the confusion when introducing Boolean searching on other databases to new users.

Incidentally does everyone know about using OR in phrases in google to get alternative words in a phrase?

This string searches for 9 possible 2 word combinations:

“throat OR oesophageal OR esophageal cancer OR neoplasms OR carcinoma”
.

In effect it searches for :

(throat OR oesophageal OR esophageal) NEXT ( cancer OR neoplasms OR carcinoma).

The only snag being that , ( I think  in most cases) in phrases google won’t do automatic plurals.

So for completion you would need to enter

“throat OR oesophageal OR esophageal cancer OR cancers OR neoplasm OR neoplasms OR carcinoma OR carcinomas”.

It  saves a lot of repetition of common words in similar phrases

Click to see  this on google<http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&q=%E2%80%9Cthroat+OR+oesophageal+OR+esophageal+cancer+OR+cancers+OR+neoplasm+OR+neoplasms+OR+carcinoma+OR+carcinomas%E2%80%9D.&btnG=Search&meta=&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=>

Or  cut and paste this

http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&q=%E2%80%9Cthroat+OR+oesophageal+OR+esophageal+cancer+OR+cancers+OR+neoplasm+OR+neoplasms+OR+carcinoma+OR+carcinomas%E2%80%9D.&btnG=Search&meta=&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

 This approach is good to narrow your search down to specifics if you are getting a lot of irrelevant stuff.

However it is always worth trying a less sophisticated search first , to make full use of google’s inherent mapping.

Best wishes

David Newman

Library Information Skills Trainer

Exeter Health Library