Message

Hello Everyone,

I would be very interested to hear how your academic skills workshops have been progressing this year, especially since Christmas. I am writing because booking and attendance at the workshops I run at BU have been terrible. In particular, revision strategies and exam techniques workshops are attracting no more than 5 students per session despite having offered a much wider range of days and times to accommodate folk. We advertise by announcements on our VLE, by timetable to programme leaders and administrators and on continous rolling electronic screens placed in strategic areas of the uni. Generally, these workshops are heavily subscribed to, but not this year. Conversely, I have far more students asking for individual tutorials than in the past.

Are we typical of other uni experiences? Is this a special cohort or have we 'succeeded' in encouraging independent learning? Do they prefer online resources? Are there too many questions in this email? Seriously though, we will consider withdrawing some workshops next year if this approach is now considered 'old hat'.

Best

BU - the UK's Number One New University

The Guardian University Guide 2009 & 2010

Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Bournemouth University or its subsidiary companies. Nor can any contract be formed on behalf of the University or its subsidiary companies via email.