Yes, when you put it like that it a value-based pricing system might actively discourage innovation: new drugs with little or no evidence of their effectiveness will probably not be regarded as useful by customers and so will be bought at a very low price. Pharmaceutical companies would have to have a great deal of faith in their ability to create useful drugs and then be willing to take a long term gamble that they will establish themselves as the best in the minds of their customers.

________________________________
From: Evidence based health (EBH) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dr. Carlos Cuello
Sent: 24 May 2010 13:52
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Government and NICE: Myth busting

Love this thread

I don´t know in the UK and other EU countries, but in Mexico, medicines (anything that qualifies as medicine) are not taxed (IMHO I think is populism), and there is a critical discussion about taxing medicines so the government could have revenues and "innovate" and invest in R&D.
I also, like Daniel, understood that value-based pricing is defined as "you pay more if the drug is considered useful". I considered the idea of taxing those medicines with no evidence of usefulness, the less evidence on that drug, the more you tax them, but I am not an economist, and I am just thinking out loud, I would not know how this could go.

Best wishes