Dear Colleagues,

we are very pleased to announce two new publications in the RECWOWE
*Working Papers
on the Reconciliation of Work and Welfare in Europe* series.

REC-WP 03/10

> Alexander Goerne

> The Capability Approach in social policy analysis. Yet another concept?

> downloadable at
http://www.socialpolicy.ed.ac.uk/recwowepudisc/working_papers/rec-wp_03_10

REC-WP 04/10

> Magdalena Bernaciak, Anil Duman, Vera Scepanovic

> Employee welfare and collective Bargaining in exposed and protected
sectors: Evidence from Poland and Serbia.

> downloadable at
http://www.socialpolicy.ed.ac.uk/recwowepudisc/working_papers/rec-wp_04_10

For further details on all previously published working papers, and for
information on how to submit a manuscript yourself, please visit the series
website at
http://www.socialpolicy.ed.ac.uk/recwowepudisc/working_papers/introduction

For more details on the papers REC-WP 03/10  and REC-WP 03/10, please read
on:

>>> Abstract REC-WP 03/10

> Alexander Goerne: The Capability Approach in social policy analysis. Yet
another concept?

There is still some lack of clarity regarding the question of what the
Capability Approach actually is, how it should be interpreted and
operationalised, and not least whether it is an adequate and useful concept
for the analysis of social policy in Europe. Against the backdrop of these
questions, this paper looks at recent contributions which use the Capability
Approach (CA) for analysing social policy. This leads me to argue that the
most interesting applications of the CA may not lie in policy evaluation in
the classical sense, but rather in an analysis of policy outputs through the
lens of concepts such as individualisation and diversity. In this sense, the
CA may serve as normative foundation for addressing the dependent variable
problem in comparative welfare regime research. In order to play this role,
however, CA-applications will need to clearly differentiate between the
potential and implications of the CA itself, and various external normative
reference points which should not be identified with the CA.

>>> Abstract REC-WP 04/10

> Magdalena Bernaciak, Anil Duman, Vera Scepanovic: Employee welfare and
collective Bargaining in exposed and protected sectors: Evidence from Poland
and Serbia.

Collective bargaining is closely related to social policy making to the
extent that the outcomes of the former inform and influence social policy
agenda. It is widely held, however, that trade unions in Central Eastern
Europe (CEE) do not have a strong bargaining position and thus exert little
impact on policy decisions. This paper challenges the view of CEE labour as
a uniformly weak actor. It argues that CEE unions’ ability to shape the
bargaining agenda and social policies depends largely on the degree of
privatisation, which overlaps with sectoral divisions. We find that unions
in exposed sectors are unable to oppose greater flexibility even when there
are no considerable wage gains, whereas workers in protected sectors manage
to maintain their status and at times even enhance their welfare, both in
terms of higher wages and better working conditions.

Best wishes

--
Alexander Goerne

School of Social and Political Studies