Hi Ed,

What a humiliating experience.  A similar thing happened in Morrisons to two
male friends of mine. One is over sixty and due to ill health sometimes has
difficulty walking. The other, who was helping with his shopping, is not
much older than your son and looks very young - until he takes off his beany
hat and you see his receding hairline!  He didn't think to take off his hat
when they were refused the purchase of alcohol in similar circumstances to
your own.

I do wonder if in both cases, yours and my friend's, whether there would
have been no problem if the person helping had been much younger, ie.
someone rather less likely to be the possible end-consumer of the alcohol?
Or a young woman rather than a young man? Would there have been a problem if
the older person had not had any obvious disability and had been perceived
as being accompanied rather than assisted by the younger person?

The obvious excuse that can be given by the store is that the shop assistant
was following the policy of refusing a sale of alcohol when it appears that
it is being purchased for the consumption of someone under 18.  Groups of
young lads hang around some of the shops in my area, offering to help with
shopping in exchange for the shopper purchasing alcohol on their behalf, as
they would definitely be refused. This might well have played a part in my
friends' experience.  If this is the case where you live then it might
explain your shop assistant's behaviour.

If the context in your area is similar to mine then I would have some
sympathy for the shop assistant, who might have got herself sacked if she
had been seen to sell alcohol to you without any proof of your son's age.

After writing the above, I wondered about the specifics of the Sainsbury
policy on sale of alcohol so had a Google around - and discovered that it is
controversial.  Sainsbury has a policy of asking for ID if the assistant
thinks that the shopper or someone accompanying them looks under 25, not
18.  This has caught-out people without any obvious disabilty, so your son
might have a problem if he went by himself to buy alcohol at Sainsbury's
without any proof of ID.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sainsburys+policy+alcohol+sales

I wonder how people get around the issue of buying alcohol when the carer is
under 18 and if stores have any policies and procedures to ensure that
people with young carers do not suffer discrimination.

Best wishes,
Liz

--
I raise money for Communication Matters with Everyclick.com
Find out how you can help here: http://www.everyclick.com/lizpanton

Archives and tools are located at: