I haven't tried any recent software.  I digitized Rudolf Münsterberg's
_Die Beamtennamen auf den griechischen Münzen_ (which is mostly proper
names so spelling checking doesn't help) and had good recognition rates.

I used ABBYY Fine Reader 6.0 but any trainable OCR program can work with
my technique.  I told the system to perform OCR without using the
built-in alphabets.  A lot of training is needed for the first dozen
pages because NONE of the letters are recognized.  Whenever a letter was
recognized I told FineReader that it was a new ligature and entered the
Beta Code characters for polytonic Greek.  The system OCRed the text
directly into Beta Code which I was able to convert to Unicode easily
myself.

-Ed