Hi Lawrence

We have had a slightly similar situation in the recent past with a student
appeal hearing.

A committee sat to hear a student appeal case and prepared a report with
its findings. The student was particularly unhappy with the report citing a
number of inaccuracies and brought the DPA into play to have them
corrected. The committee considered the student's points about the report
but did not make any changes to the report.

The inaccuracies were not personal data as such, more differences of
opinion, but were in the context of the appeal report so I looked at it
from a DPA angle.

I spoke to the ICO helpline who advised that we should file the student's
comments with the report to note that they have disputed certain
information and confirm this action to the student - and we did so, so that
would be your:

"ask them to write a really long letter, outlining all their points, and
enter it into the "record" (7b) even if they do not have access to all the
reports?"

and the list of 'inaccuracies' was long!

I realise this doesn't address your entire scenario (the access point) but
thought it may help with one aspect.

Best wishes

Matt

--On 20 May 2010 14:10 +0100 Lawrence Serewicz
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear All,
>

> I need some help with a tricky situation.
>

> A resident  (Mrs XYZ)  complained to standards committee on several
> occasions about the behaviour of Councillors.  The complaints were
> investigated  and the standard committees took no further action.
>

> The applicant (Mrs XYZ)  read through the investigating officers reports
> and noted that some of the statements recorded within were, in her view,
> inaccurate or false.  The applicant made further requests under the DPA
> for other personal information relating to the standards committee.  She
> was granted some information but other information was withheld because
> it was also personal information of people who would not consent to it
> being disclosed.
>

> Following receipt of the redacted reports, the applicant believes that
> the reports contained biased information that they would like to have
> changed.  For example, some of the other people interviewed by the
> investigator passed comment on the applicant and the applicant believes
> these allegations and statements are false. Moreover, the applicant
> believes this has biased the committees that decided her complaints.
>

> Of the cases were appealed to the Standards Board for England, none were
> overturned.
>

> The applicant now wants to exercise their Data Protection rights to have
> their personal information corrected.  They are invoking Principle 4 (7a
> of Schedule 1 Part 1).
>

> The fourth principle
>
> 7 The fourth principle is not to be regarded as being contravened by
> reason of any inaccuracy in personal data which accurately record
> information obtained by the data controller from the data subject or a
> third party in a case where--
>
> (a) having regard to the purpose or purposes for which the data were
> obtained and further processed, the data controller has taken reasonable
> steps to ensure the accuracy of the data, and
>
> (b) if the data subject has notified the data controller of the data
> subject's view that the data are inaccurate, the data indicate that fact.
>

> What the applicant wants is two DPA results and one overall result.  The
> first DPA result is that they want to have access to all the standards
> committee reports to review all the allegations and statements made
> against them.  The second result, following complete access, they want to
> "correct" or, at least rebut all statements they believe to be false and
> have that entered on the record.
>

> At first glance, it would not appear that the fourth principle is
> engaged. The investigating officer has recorded the information for the
> purposes by which it was obtained.  For example, if Mr. 123 says, "I saw
> Mrs. XYZ shouting at the Councillors in the parking lot."  and Mrs. XYZ,
> in reading that statement, claims the Councillor was shouting at her. It
> would appear that 7a would come into effect because the officer is only
> [...]

Matt Morrison

Information Rights Officer
University of Bristol
0117 3317751 (ex.17751)

This e-mail is for the above named recipient(s) only. It
may contain proprietary material, confidential information and/or be
subject to legal privilege. It should not be disclosed to or used, retained
or copied by, any other party. If you are not an intended recipient then
please delete this e-mail and all copies and promptly
inform the sender. Thank you.

Please note that in order to protect the security and working of University
network and computer systems, it may be necessary to intercept, monitor,
record, copy, audit, inspect and/or disclose to authorised University and
law enforcement personnel any files, messages and any or all uses of the
systems. The University may also be required to disclose this email as a
result of a freedom of information or data protection request, or in
connection with litigation.