Hi All,

I would appreciate any opinions you have on the use of the double ratio plot developed by Jones Forensics Laboratories’ to assess the origin of BaP and how this relates to risk to human health. I'm unfamiliar with this approach so not entirely sure on its suitability or if this is widely used.

Situation
    - Planning Context
    - 4 Dwellings erected and retrospective planning application submitted
    - Brownfield Site
    - Unorthodox approach to risk assessment, however;

Chemical analysis has shown BaP in the topsoil of gardens to be around 3.4mg/kg.

The consultant has used the double plot ratio to determine the nature of BaP and concludes that its natural (most likely to be coal fragments) and will not be mobile or available in such fragments and the fact that any coal would have to be below 0.25mm to adhere to all exposed skin for dermal adsorption to be a relevant pathway.

Many thanks,

Damon

Damon Pearson
Environmental Protection Officer