Dear list

I am turning to you for some clarity of thinking, (as regards this assessment).

My team at work is asking that we complete this assessment for ‘fun team building’. We are being encouraged to participate in this. It has been sold as teambuilding, but there is an implicit pressure to participate, & management have not said anything about how they really want to use the data, (other than the very vague notion of ‘teambuilding’).

This is not a comfortable position to be in and I am finding it hard to put my unease about this in coherent terms to management.

I suspect there is a some guidance (?from professional bodies) about the ethical use of psychometric assessments: who/how/when/why should be used. Can anyone point me towards such guidance? Furthermore the Myers Briggs tool I gather is not a well validated tool (?).  Can anyone point me towards solid criticisms of it?

So I wonder of anyone on the list can share some ideas to help me think about how I might form a coherent, sensible objection to taking part in this assessment..... and I thought this whole process unsettling, but interesting when in this increasingly anxiety provoking economic climate, employers are turning to elements of the psy-complex, and management guru stuff, to continue to make life unpredictable for employees !

Cheers, Matt.

___________________________________ The Community Psychology List has a new website/blog at: http://www.communitypsychology.co.uk/ There is a threaded discussion forum: http://www.communitypsychology.co.uk/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi There is a twitter feed: http://twitter.com/CommPsychUK To post on the website blog, forum or twitter feed, contact Grant or David at the email addresses below. David Fryer ([log in to unmask]) or Grant Jeffrey ([log in to unmask]) To unsubscribe or to change your details on this COMMUNITYPSYCHUK list, visit the website: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=COMMUNITYPSYCHUK