Dale,

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 12:19 AM, Dale Tronrud <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>  The greater the difference in cell constants the greater the "noise"
> in the map.  I think the high resolution cutoff for the maps should
> be
>
>    2 A delta/(A+delta)
>
> where A is the cell edge with the largest change, and delta is the
> amount of change (in Angstrom).  Basically a 1A change for a 100A
> edge would require a 2A resolution limit.  A 5A change would imply
> a 10A cutoff and a very boring map.

I think this estimate may be a little over-optimistic.  Crick &
Magdoff (1956, Acta Cryst.9, 901–908) calculated that for a 100Ĺ cubic
unit cell a 0.5% change in all the cell dimensions, or a 0.5° rotation
of the molecule within the unit cell, would produce an average 15%
change in intensity, equivalent to a 7.5% average change in F, for
data to 3Ĺ resolution.  So your 1% change in cell  at 2Ĺ would give ~
22.5% average change in F, just from the non-isomorphism effects.  For
an Fo-Fc map, given that measurement errors are typically ~ 4 or 5% in
F, you need to have the average difference due the ligand or heavy
atom at least 3 times the noise level at the bare minimum, say at
least 12%, and indeed we see average differences (i.e. partial Fc) due
to a soaked ligand in the range 10-20%.  For an Fo-Fo map the noise
level is multiplied by sqrt(2) since you have 2 lots of measurement
errors, so you have 6-8% average experimental error in Fo-Fo.  Now
clearly if you have experimental errors of ~ 7% plus non-isomorphism
errors of 22.5% and you're looking for a signal of 15% due to the
ligand then you have a problem!  It implies you need to reduce the
non-isomorphism errors by a factor of at least 3, i.e. to <= 0.3%
change in cell at 2Ĺ.  Such a stringent requirement, which is
virtually impossible to achieve for frozen/soaked crystals (freezing &
soaking can easily induce > 1% and sometimes > 5% change), is surely
the reason that Fo-Fo maps never caught on!

One objection to this that I've seen is that Fo-Fc differences include
errors due to the model, say ~ 20% (assuming that's the R factor),
which Fo-Fo differences clearly do not.  However the point is that
this 20% contribution from the model error is spread throughout the
cell, not just at the ligand site, since it arises from co-ordinate &
B factor errors, disorder etc in all atoms, of which the ligand makes
up a very small fraction, so the contribution to this from errors in
the ligand parameters are likely to be negligible (adding the ligand
has a negligible effect on the R factor!).  In contrast the ~ 5%
experimental error in Fo-Fc, or ~ 7% + non-isomorphism error for
Fo-Fo, contribute roughly equally to the error in the density over the
whole cell.

Cheers

-- Ian