Ok, to sum up for the board, a good reference for this problem is at:

http://mcl1.ncifcrf.gov/waugh_tech/faq/tev.pdf

 Thanks to everyone who responded.

Matthew

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 9:27 AM, Matthew Merski <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hello all,

 I am working with a protein that is expressed as with an N-terminal domain that is normally cleaved for activation of the protein (and crystallization). For in vitro reasons I've needed to switch the normal site to a TEV site. However, even though the TEV site is in the same place as the original proteolytic site, I have been unable to get cleavage despite using a lot of TEV at 37 C, pH 8.0.  Has anyone been able to overcome a similar problem?

Matthew Merski
Post-doctoral researcher
UCSF