Vinson,

As Dale and Randy pointed out, you cannot change the ΔG of a reaction
by mutation: enzyme, which is a catalyst, affects only the activation
barrier (ΔE "double-dagger").  You can just make it a better (or
worse) catalyst which would allow the reaction to flow faster (or
slower) towards equilibrium.  Nature solves this problem very
elegantly by taking a readily reversible enzyme, like an epimerase or
isomerase, and coupling it to a much less reversible reaction which
removes product quickly.  Hence, the mass action is only in one
direction.  An example of such an arrangement is the triose phosphate
isomerase (TIM)-glyceraldehyde 3-phosphate dehydrogenase (GAPDH)
reaction pair.  TIM is readily reversible (DHA <=> G3P), but G3P is
rapidly converted to 1,3-diphosphoglycerate by GAPDH.   The oxidation
and phosphorylation reactions of GAPDH now make TIM "work" in one
direction.

Since many epimerases are very optimized enzymes, why not consider
making a fusion with a second enzyme (like a reductase) to make the
system flow in one direction.  Of course, this depends on what you
want to do with the product.

Cheers,

Michael

R. Michael Garavito, Ph.D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
513 Biochemistry Bldg.
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1319
Office:  (517) 355-9724     Lab:  (517) 353-9125
FAX:  (517) 353-9334        Email:  [log in to unmask]