Frank von Delft wrote:
> Just looked at the algorithm, how it stores the average "non-spot"
> through all the images.
>
> What happens with dataset where the "non-spot" (e.g. background)
> changes systematically through the dataset, i.e. anisotropic datasets
> or thin crystals lying flat in a thin loop?  How much worse is
> compression for that?
> Cheers
> phx
Well, what will happen in that case (with the current "algorithm") is
that once a background pixel deviates from the median level by more than
4 "sigmas", it will start to get stored losslessly.  Essentially, they
will be treated as "spots" and the overall compression ratio will start
to approach that of bzip2.

A "workaround" for this is simply to store the data set in "chunks"
where the background level is similar, but I suppose a more intelligent
thing to do would be to simply "scale" each image to the median
background image, and store the scale factors (a list of 100 numbers for
a 100-image data set) along with the other ancillary data.  I haven't
done that yet.  Didn't want to spend too much time on this in case I
incited some kind of revolt.

-James Holton
MAD Scientist