Dear Jacob, I offer  you my opinion.
Are you talking about electrophoresis? As far as I know it does not work
for the mass. The velocity of a protein depends on the charge at a
particular pH, the mass and shape of molecules etc. It's very difficult
to take all these things into consideration. Otherwise this would be a
very convenient method, much easier than the analytical centrifugation
or   gel-filtration that are usually used. However, electrophoresis does
not work for mass determination. Besides, complex formation hugely
depends on the protein concentration. If you dilute your mixture, your
complexes might dissociate. There is equilibrium constant between
different types of complexes.

Maia