Dear Cathy/EMDATABANK team:

It is hard to comprehend the option for keeping maps on hold for up to 2
years.  It seems any depositor would do this for pure selfish reasons: keep
the data to themselves, don't allow anybody to verify the data for a long
time, and have the exclusive right to do experiments with the maps. For
example, this would allow the depositor to be the only one perform docking
experiments with any partial crystal structure for 2 years, and also these
experiments wouldn't be falsifiable for a period of 2 years (!).

Comparing this with crystallography: one would keep a crystal structure of a
good drug target 'on hold' for 2 years, thus not allowing anybody to use it
to start rationally designing new drugs (the success rate aside for this
matter).

In scientific terms, two years is 'huge'.  It is in this time frame that a
new theory can be postulated by one, and then shot down by ten other papers.
 It is 40% of the time frame of an NIH ROI1 grant, and 66% of a typical
Canadian CIHR grant. When it comes to cryoEM and crystal structures of
important therapeutic targets, delaying the field for 2 years will ultimate
cost lives.

In the end, journal editors should create firmer and waterproof policies
like those implemented for crystal structures, such as not allowing
publication until the data are in the 'hold for publication' status. Some
journals already have the clear policy of requiring deposition of the cryoEM
maps, but the 2 year hold is currently a big loophole.  Many more journals,
however, don't require the deposition of maps at all.  Of course it would
help if the EMDB didn't allow for these loopholes...

Sincerely,

Filip Van Petegem

--
Filip Van Petegem, PhD