I would suggest that probably the best destructive method of analysis is using an induction
furnace. The LECO furnaces can do good quality C and S determinations on metal samples.
Quite a few university Earth Science laboratories have these furnaces for determination of C
and S in rocks.

See:

http://www.leco.com/resources/application_note_subs/pdf/inorganic/Analytical%20Tips/C-
S209-141-001.pdf

Obviously, this method is only good where samples can be destroyed. Some of the other
potential techniques used are somewhat sensitive to other elements in the iron apart from C
(such as P and As) - so this is a good direct approach.

Tim

--
Dr Tim Young
Email: [log in to unmask]