*        http://www.anthropologymatters.com            *
* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.                *

Apologies for cross posting
_______________

Translations between social research and design/innovation: a workshop for
PhD students and early career researchers

Location: Ben Pimlott Building, Goldsmiths, University of London

Led by Nina Wakeford, Department of Sociology, Goldsmiths

Saturday 25th September 2010 ­ 10am-5.30pm

________

Recent years have seen a burgeoning of creative research practice at the
intersection of social science and design.

This workshop will explore the ways in which social research is used by
those involved in design and innovation processes. It will give the
participants the opportunity to think about a variety of ways in which their
research might be presented and developed in these contexts, and critically
reflect on these translations.

This workshop is funded as part of Nina Wakeford¹s ESRC Fellowship project
exploring the interchanges between social science and art/design in
technology research. There will be no fee for attendance.

It is anticipated that participants will be advanced PhD students or
post-doctoral researchers undertaking empirical research in the disciplines
of sociology, science and technology studies, anthropology, gender studies
and cultural studies or associated fields, and that they do not have
extensive previous experience in design or related industries.

We expect participants to attend the associated Goldsmiths day conference on
design and social science MAKING AND OPENING: ENTANGLING DESIGN AND SOCIAL
SCIENCE the day before on Friday 24th September. See
http://www.gold.ac.uk/sociology/events/
<http://www.gold.ac.uk/sociology/events/>

If you are interested in applying for this workshop, please send an email
with the following details to [log in to unmask] by 1st June at the
latest.  We would welcome early expressions of interest, and will confirm
participation by 18th June.

Please put ŒTRANSLATIONS WORKSHOP¹ in the title of your email.

You should include the following information.

*Name

*Institution

*Disciplinary Area

*Brief description of current research, including actual/proposed title of
thesis, description of empirical research (200-300 words)

*Actual or anticipated date of PhD completion

------------

 Announcement:
> ONE DAY CONFERENCE ON DESIGN AND SOCIAL SCIENCE
>
> MAKING AND OPENING: ENTANGLING DESIGN AND SOCIAL SCIENCE
>
> 24 September 2010, 9.00 – 5.30
> Ben Pimlott Building - Lecture Theatre
> Goldsmiths, University of London
>
> Making and Opening: Entangling Design and Social Science
>
> Design and social science disciplines intersect at a number of points. While
> there is excellent work exploring many of these points of contact, there is
> also a tendency for social science to treat design as a topic (eg what does
> design do and how might this be accounted for in sociological terms?), and for
> design to treat social science as a resource (eg what useful knowledge does
> sociology produce and how can this be deployed to model users or construct
> scenarios?).
>
> This day conference will contribute to the move beyond this pattern.
> Collecting a group of leading practitioners in design and social science, the
> conference will present a series of dialogues and commentaries on a range of
> common, open issues:
> Speculation/Anticipation;
> Participation/Impact;
> Discipline/Contamination;
> Making/Method.
>
> In the process, the conference will explore possible, emergent interrelations
> and synergies between design and social science, for example: how might the
> practices of speculative or critical designers furnish social science with new
> insights into the study and articulation of society? How might social
> science’s interest in complexity contribute to the iterative process of making
> in design?
>
> Speakers will include: Bill Gaver, Pelle Ehn, Mike Michael, Bill Moggridge,
> Harvey Molotch, Michelle Murphy, Lucy Suchman, Nina Wakeford.
>
> This conference is limited to 60 delegates.
> To book a place please contact: [log in to unmask]
> £15.00 Full Price
> £10.00 Concessions
>

> Sponsored by: Centre for the Study of Invention and Social Process,
> Interaction Research Studio, INCITE - Incubator for Critical Inquiry into
> Technology and Ethnography.
>
> This event is financially supported by the Economic and Social Research
> Council and is part of London Design Festival
> MAKING AND OPENING: ENTANGLING DESIGN AND SOCIAL SCIENCE
>

> DRAFT CONFERENCE SCHEDULE

> Ben Pimlott Building - Lecture Theatre
> Goldsmiths, University of London
>

> 9.00-10.00                         Registration
> 10.00-10.15                         Welcome and Intro
> 10.15-11.15                        Speculation/Anticipation
> 11.15-11.30                        Coffee
> 11.30-12.30                        Participation/Impact
> 12.30-1.00                        General Discussion
> 1.00-2.00                         Lunch
> 2.00-3.00                        Discipline/Contamination
> 3.00-3.30                        Tea
3.30-4.30                        Making/Method
4.30-5.30                        Closing Comments and Discussion
5.30                                    Drinks

PLEASE ALSO ENSURE YOU REGISTER FOR THE DAY CONFERENCE. This can also be
done by emailing [log in to unmask]