From: LAITY, KATHRYN <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] A Graphic Novel'ization of Jack Parsons' Biography
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Sunday, May 16, 2010, 3:58 PM

I have not heard of Ellis and Morrison actually practising magic. Moore is indeed more western trad than chaos (in fact has a certain dislike of most chaos magicians). The Bumper Book of Magic is a collaboration between Moore and Stephen Moore (no relation).

There are a lot of problems with the “graphic novel” terminology (doubtless beyond the scope of this group’s interest).  Superheroes are just one genre of comics. Although both comics and magic are marginalised, I don’t know that there’s much cross-over at all of serious interest in magic. Moore’s work isn’t much at all like Doctor Strange etc.

Of possible interest to some: there is a conference on the work of Moore the end of the month at the University of Northampton. I’ll be there talking about ritual. Moore will be there as well.

Kate

On 5/16/10 3:58 AM, "David Robertson" <[log in to unmask]> corresponded:

Moore is arguably the most committed magician, but his interest lies in the Golden Dawn tradition, rather than Chaos. He is currently collaborating with a large variety of artists to produce a modern grimoire. His "Promethea" uses the Wonder Woman archetype to explore the GD system of Kabbalah - and it works better than you probably imagine. The use of both image and text is able to transmit the information in a way that is more readable and concise than words alone. "A Disease of Language" contains a long interview where he expounds his theory of magic, which is essentially the use of the creative imagination.

I would be wary, however, of differentiating between "modern graphic novels" and "traditional superhero comics" - the difference is largely one of legitimisation. The term "graphic novel" was coined to sell collections of comics to people who assumed that "comics" were nothing but simplistic superhero stories. Specifically, Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" series (not directly concerned with magic, but with a magical mood concerning worlds of imagination and stories becoming real) appealed to young women, and DC comics discovered that "graphic novels" would sell to different markets than the trade comic book market. But the material is the same - all of the works mentioned were monthly comics first, and collected later.

But Austin's idea of comics as an "alterna-culture marker" is interesting. Perhaps another way of describing it is to say that comics and magic are both culturally liminal, and therefore there is a large crossover between the two fields.

David