From: Society for The Academic Study of Magic [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Robertson
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:36 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] Ecclesia Gnostica Catholica

Thanks again, everyone, this has moved from a piece I thought I migh struggle with, to something I'm actively looking forward to.

"Academic"/"scholarly" is a concern. I'm working under the auspices of the Divinity department of the Edinburgh University, which has a very good Religious Studies department, but it's origins lie with the Church of Scotland, and we're outnumbered 5 to 1 by Theologians and trainee Ministers.

My research has ruffled a few feathers already, so when I get into areas like this involving Crowley (gasp!), sex (blush) and magic (shudder), I have to make sure I include some respected academic sources to cover my back. In the Religious Studies field in the UK, theologians study Christianity, Religious Studies people study other religions, and religion as a broader phenomenon is studied by sociologists. Things like the ESSWE are still regarded with suspicion by a large number of scholars, something which is slowly changing but needs to change faster. I would like to think that this is an example of scholars of magic and scholars of religion being able to cooperate, and produce work that informs both disciplines.

David