On 4/26/10 2:08 PM, "Lindsay Judith Foreman" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hello all,

I have just recently excavated a horse skeleton from a bog and am wondering how to treat the bones. They were completely waterlogged, so, after cleaning the excess soil from them and giving them a light scrub, I have set them to dry completely. I would next like to clean off some of the algae and restore some of the bones to a lighter colour. Many of them are black from sitting in the brackish water, for an unknown period of time. The horse is also a subadult, so I don't want to handle the bones too much or immerse them into a very caustic solution that would compromise their integrity.

I have briefly looked in the archives, but didn't really find anything I thought would work. Any information and tips you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Lindsay Foreman HBSc, MA
PhD Candidate
Department of Anthropology
University of Western Ontario
London, ON
N6A 5C2

Hi Lindsay, I don’t have much to add, but if you’re drying the bones....do it very slowly or they may check and crack.
Good luck
Pete

--
Peter Burns