Hi Rafael,

Performing group statistics on correlations rather than beta weights
has been done quite often, most commonly in studies of connectivity,
but also when using an amplitude-modulated regressor which is based on
some external variable such as reaction time, physiology etc. In both
these cases, techniques such as PPI might be more appropriate within
SPM.

There's nothing specifically wrong to do group analyses on correlation
coefficients, though they should usually be z-transformed to make the
statistics valid. Having said that, you need to be clear about what it
is that you're testing. While betas give an indication of magnitude of
signal change, correlations depend both on magnitude of signal change
as well as unexplained variance. The latter could be what drives any
effects you find, and the source of variance might not be easily
identifiable or might have nothing directly to do with brain activity
(e.g. it could be due to all sorts of artefacts).

-Tom Johnstone
University of Reading