Dear SPMers,

I have some troubles in understanding this quotation from chapter 12 of
"Human Brain Function 2nd edition":
"A balanced design is one in which all subjects have identical design
matrices, and is a requirement for the SS [Summary Statistics] approach
to be valid. If there are, say, two populations of interest and one is
interested in making inferences about differences between populations
then a two-sample t-test is used at the second level. It is not
necessary that the numbers of subjects in each population be the same,
but it is necessary to have the same design matrices for subjects in the
same population ie. balanced designs at the first-level."

I would like to get your point of view on how to deal with subject-level
designs in these studies :

1) We have 4 sessions per subject (with 1 task and 1 condition each).
The HRF is modeled by the Informed Basis Set thus there are 3 regressors
per task plus 1 regressor per session. Most of the subjects performed
the four tasks (the design matrix looks like matrix4tasks.png attached),
however for some subjects, 1 or more tasks are missing (either because
the subject did not perform the task or because motion was too severe)
and therefore the design matrix is different (cf. for instance
matrix2tasks.png).
At the second-level we look at each condition in a separate model and
also at the combined effect of all tasks (that is why we initially chose
to model all tasks in the same design at the first level). For the
combined-task analysis the design matrices are identical at the subject
level since we keep only the subjects who performed all tasks. However,
when we deal with the effect of one particular task, the design matrices
at the subject-level are not all the same. I am wondering whether this
is an unbalanced design and if I should instead consider a separate
design matrix for each task at the first-level ?

2) The second example I can think of occurs when the conditions depend
on the subjects' behaviour. For example, if the subjects are asked
several times to make a choice between two inputs we could create two
regressors to look at the response when the subjects select a given
input. Then, again the matrices won't be exaclty the same (since the
subjects won't make the exact same choices). I wonder if this a case of
unbalanced design or if it is valid to perform a second level analysis
to make inference on the population ?

Thank you for your help,
Best regards,

Camille