In the interest of stimulating discussion, I guess I'll respond, and
throw some suggestions out there. Hopefully the experts will reply...

I think if you properly design your experiment, ensuring a range of
SOA's, you can still estimate the contribution of each condition
(assuming linearity). See e.g. Miezin et al. 2000 NeuroImage, Fig. 1.
But, for SOAs below 2000ms linearity might not hold.
Maybe you could do something like in Ollinger et al 2001 NeuroImage...
they separated components of trials.
If you're interested in varying the SOA and looking at its effect on
activity, perhaps you could do some kind of parametric modulation?
Or maybe you can set up a factorial design, 2 x 2 (task A, task B; short
SOA, long SOA)...