My TR is 3.0 seconds. There are 47 slices of 60 ms each, leaving an
acquisition gap of 200 ms.

The SPM manual states direly that the slice timing correction will be
removed and ought not be used.

I would very much like to follow this advice, but my statistical
results appear to be significantly better
with the slice timing correction (sometimes a difference between no
result without and some activation with it
-- and since this is a multimodal study, the location of activation is
confirmed by other modalities).

That brings about a number of questions:
1- If I don't use slice timing correction, what can I do beyond using
hrf+derivatives? Add other hrfs to the code,
peaking at different times? What do people do in practice?

2- If I do use slice timing correction, then...

a) Looking at the code, one can see that it is indeed deprecated. What
is my TA? Intuitively I guess it is 2.8 ms, and not what is
suggested, i.e. TA = TR*(1-1/47). But the code then defines parameters
timing(1) and timing(2), and to get sensible values
for these I would have to backward-calculate TA: the code is written
as if the difference between TA and TR is an additional slice.
Anyhow that's just a few milliseconds difference here and there, and
it shouldn't matter anyway.

b) is it OK to still use hrf+derivatives when using slice timing
correction, or should use hrf only? (for aliasing or other reasons)

I also seem to note that many people are still using the slice timing
correction... so there appears to be a disconnect between the SPM
Manual recommendation, and what is done in practice.

Thanks,

Philippe