Hi ¡X I assume Toronto UP would have first dibs on this sort of thing, and if not, I¡¦d encourage Oxford UP or Julian Lethbridge and Manchester UP to get involved somehow.  It¡¦d be a money-maker too, I¡¦m sure, in terms of electronic subscriptions.  (BTW, the SpEnc is a steal when on sale for $35 at the U Toronto table at Kalamazoo, as it usually is).  Think too of the links that could be made to iconography etc.  So perhaps Gale or Blackwell or some other journal/database provider will swoop in on it.  It is so helpful on so many topics germane to our field, that if put on-line, I imagine it could/would morph into a renaissance lit resource more generally. --TH

On 4/20/10 6:20 PM, "Bruce Danner" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

The concept of an online Spenser Encyclopedia, updatable and editable in wiki form, available with links to bibliography entries [to the Spenser world bibliography], linkable to the text of a potentially online Spenser text [Oxford?], is an incredibly exciting notion. It would represent a true leap in the discipline, and one wonders how difficult it would be to establish, as long as the text of the SE is still available in digitized form. I wince at the pathetically limited material on Spenser on Wikipedia, for example, where so many students go to for an initial treatment. How much better would our student research would become if they had the SE available online. How much more useful to us to have a resource that would updatable and ongoing, rather than held in stasis in 1990.

Bruce Danner
St. Lawrence University

-----Original Message-----
From: "A.C. Hamilton"
Sent: Apr 19, 2010 2:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Marks & Spenser

Upon returning to the world -- that is, upon getting out of hospital ? I was surprised and pleased to find comments on my reference to the Marks & Spenser article. Surprised because I had thought that I was writing a private memo and pleased to have prompted praise of the never-too-much read Spenser Encyclopedia, and especially Andrew?s verse. Yet I am aware that the volume is now twenty years out of date and needs to be replaced. It served its function in the late twentieth century as the Variorum served an earlier generation. When it is replaced, I hope it will be replaced by something close to the Wikipedia that may be continuously revised, made up-to-date and improved. The existence of this Forum shows that a new and better SE is possible. Bert