(Hi! I'm a long time listener, first time caller, everyone.)

I've used the Penguin for a senior-level seminar in Ren Poetry. I love
the book, and I do probably because it's a diverse text with a
complicated apparatus. The pages are numbered, and the poems are
numbered. The thematic arrangement of the book causes much flipping of
pages but also leads to serendipity (finding Birch's "come over the born
bessy," poem #12, for example). I would use it again for the same kind
of class. The book worked best when I took advantage of the ready-made
juxtapositions instead of trying to fight the arrangement.

My students learned to deal with the old spelling. There was some
complaining at first, but after an experience with EEBO's scan of
Tottel's Miscellany, the students were grateful to see anything printed
in the last 50 years. Their louder complaint was that the book used
endnotes, not footnotes. Hope this helps, Michael. And that's a
brilliant observation about stdnt txting, Andrew.

On this matter of teaching: I'll be teaching The Renaissance Period
Course this fall. In the past, I tried to "cover" the period with lots
of writers and texts, but for the fall, I'm considering focusing on
three--possibly four--authors. Is this wise? Breadth or depth? Is the
Penguin Book of Renaissance Verse the just the perfect thing for the
period course, or should I go for the editions of specific authors? Or
both?

Best,

Rob Kilgore
University of South Carolina Beaufort