I don’t make a habit of sending petitions, but this one is significant. AJ

From: Luis Morago - Avaaz.org [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 6:13 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Breakthrough on nuclear weapons

Dear friends,

The new US-Russia nuclear treaty is building momentum for nuclear disarmament--and the next crucial summit is next week in Washington. Sign the petition to ban nuclear weapons--it will be delivered at the summit five days from now:

Sign the petition

Hours ago, Barack Obama and Russia's President Medvedev signed a new treaty on nuclear arms control.

It's a spark of hope -- a jump forward for the movement for "global zero" on nuclear weapons, which has been joined in recent months by hundreds of former heads of state, generals, and defense ministers and thousands of citizens everywhere.

Next week, dozens of world leaders will gather in Washington, DC for a Nuclear Security Summit. They will be greeted by a stack of petitions from around the world, demonstrating the world's hope for a real end to nuclear nightmares. Click to add your name to the petition -- let's show them how many of us share the global zero dream:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/together_for_zero/?vl

Humanity can choose: move to abolish nuclear weapons, or let them spread around the world. There's no middle ground: as long as non-nuclear countries know that they're under nuclear threat, some will try to acquire weapons for themselves. The "nuclear club" has been growing -- only commitments for real cuts can reverse the world's course.

But promises from leaders aren't enough by themselves. To be credible, they have to be matched by support from the public. That's where we all can play a role.

Last year, more than 115,000 Avaaz members signed a petition for Global Zero--and helped pave the way for the US-Russia agreement that led to today's treaty. Now, as leaders from China to Pakistan to Europe prepare for next week's summit, our voices must be far louder. Click to sign the petition, and spread the word:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/together_for_zero/?vl

The younger members of our network don't know what it was like to grow up under a constant nuclear shadow -- when the threat of catastrophe was always at the back of our minds. But until these weapons are gone, that shadow will exist. Let's join together--now and for the long haul--to pass a brighter world to the generations to come.

With hope,

Luis, Pascal, Alice, Ricken, Raluca and the entire Avaaz team.

SOURCES

"Obama and Medvedev Sign Nuclear Arms Reduction Pact" - New York Times, 8 April 2010
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/09/world/europe/09prexy.html?hp&pagewanted=all

"Nuclear summit takes aim at unsecured bomb material" - Reuters, 8 April 2010
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63726X20100408

Reaching Zero, Jonathan Schell (The Nation):
hhttp://www.thenation.com/doc/20100419/schell/2

Huge cut in warheads banishes legacy of the Cold War, The Independent:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/huge-cut-in-warheads-banishes-legacy-of-the-cold-war-1928733.html

Obama Limits U.S. Use Of Nuclear Arms, New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2010/04/06/world/international-uk-nuclear-usa-review.html

Scrapping nuclear arms is now realpolitik. Six security experts urge America and Russia to act today
http://www.avaaz.org/the_times_nukes