John Whittington wrote:

I am struggling a bit to understand how employing more 'non-productive' people at public expense can improve the economic situation.  I suppose that employing those additional people gives them 'spending power' (in theory good for the economy) - but when that spending power comes from money that is necessarily ultimately taken (by taxation) from others who would otherwise have that spending power themselves, I again struggle to see the economic benefit!

The point is to transfer spending power from those who might attempt to "save" it to those who will either

(a) use it to invest in productive capital (which is likely to mean government-financed infrastructure, given low profitability/company attempts to rebuild financial balances), or

(b) spend it on current consumption (in other words, the poor - or "working families" in New Labour jargon)

Put another way, it is about transferring income from those with low to high income-elasticity of consumption.

One could (and possibly should also) increase benefits, but employing "non-productive" teachers, nurses, policemen, etc., etc. gives one the benefit of the services they create -- and insofar as the services are improved education, public health, etc.,  constitutes investment just as much as does Crossrail (which I see the Tories are muttering about cancelling, thus ensuring wholly unproductive and very large holes in the ground at Tottenham Court Road and other places where work has been under way for months).

In the first para., "save" is in quotes because of Keynes's "paradox of thrift", which shows that in certain circumstances attempts by households and firms to increase the *proportion* of income that they save (= "not consume") will succeed by lowering income, rather than increasing the volume of saving.

Julian

Dr Julian Wells
Acting Director of Studies
School of Economics