Hi Caroline,

I'm not an expert but have recently had an 'un- versus standardised'
debate for a paper - these are my thoughts.

Unstandardised coefficients are reported in the units of the variable it
represents (e.g. mmHg for BP measurements, years of age). If you're
interested in the relative importance of variables as predictors, it's
hard to compare directly using the unstandardised values as you're
comparing apples with oranges. One of the main benefits of standardising
is to be able to compare the magnitude of the contribution a predictor
makes, because the standardised values represent standard deviations.
For the paper I was working on, this was our main focus and we had a
number of physiological measurements with different units, so
standardised was more appropriate.

http://www.jerrydallal.com/LHSP/importnt.htm

In your case however, it seems to me (and I'm happy to be shot down by
any statistical argument here) that although your questions are
measuring different things, the 'units' are all likert points, which
greatly reduces the need to standardise to aid your interpretation. You
still have to be aware that the variables have differing maximum scores
when interpreting them, but there doesn't seem to be a great benefit of
having them reported in units of SD. You could try it both ways with one
of your regressions and see if it does make it any easier to interpret.

You mention you've read that you should 'always' standardise, but it may
be worth checking what type of studies and measurements they refer to.
Certainly I think you should be consistent, and I'd suggest including a
short discussion to justify your approach to show your examiner you've
considered the issues.

Not the sage-like definite answer, but I hope it helps!

Brian