From: psci-com: on public engagement with science [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Osborne, Jonathan
Sent: 27 April 2010 19:02
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PSCI-COM] Reporting Science

I posted this originally as I saw the issue in these two stories is the contrast between the erroneous notion that scientific models should be ‘facts’ and absolutely certain and the reality that all models are assessed against a balance of probabilities and the less data you have, the more uncertain you are about the probabilities which makes decision making (as required by the public, airlines etc) a risk assessment exercise.  I pointed it out because it is a good instance of where media reporting of science demonstrates a confusion about the nature of epistemic justification in science sustaining naïve notions about its nature.

Jonathan Osborne