From: aga yamin <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sat, 3 April, 2010 8:24:26
Subject: Re: Design as Research

Dear Chris

I  refer to your  original email ” In the area of Jewellery Design and Manufacture there seems to be a strong > correlation between the steps that the design and manufacture process
> follows and that of the action research process (plan/act/observe/reflect).
> However, in the design process, as my students are executing it at the
> moment, the participatory element (from an AR point of view) is missing

I would like to say that all improvement activities follow the same or similar process as you identified between action research and jewellery design. Linear processes are applied for one off improvement and cyclic processes are applied for a continuous improvement. However, people apply various philosophies, approaches and techniques in carrying out their improvement activities such as empirical research, reflective practice (Dewey, Schon etc.), action research (Collier, Lippitt, Radak, Lewin, Kermis, Elliot and so on) , Deming’s PDCA, Seven Habit model, Strategic Management Models, Change Management Models and so on.

In my point of view, the basic process is the same in all contexts, situations and areas of businesses   as follows:

1.     Analysis of current situation

2.     Identification of areas for improvement

3.     Development of various options to improve

4.     Selection of  the best option or solution

5.     Implementation of the best solution

6.     Monitoring & Controlling of implemented solution

7.     Reviewing / reflecting  to identify good and bad points

8.     Refining it

9.     Implementing it

10.   And so on

In carrying out above activities, a researcher starts in selecting a suitable:

1.       Research Philosophy (such as positivism, realism, objectivism, subjectivism and so on)

2.       Then Research Approach (Deductive or Inductive)

3.       Selection of Approach then leads to Research Strategies (Action Research (Living Education Theory) , Grounded Theory, Phenomenology, Case Study, Ethnography, Experiments and so on)

4.       Research Choices. (such as mono method or multiple methods)

5.       Techniques or procedure of collecting data and analysing data (Generally people call this stage as a Research Design and they involve active participants in case of action research at this stage).

I call the whole process from research philosophy to data collection, analysis and compiling thesis or report as  “Research Model”.

However,  Back to your question, “participatory aspect” is missing in your PAOR activities.

 It depends on the  researcher. He or she needs to decide: what sort of participation is required and up to what degree and extent is required at data collection and analysis stage.    The better answer may be given by answering the following questions, designed by Jack and McNiff in 2006:

What are my concerns?
What experiences can I describe to show why I am concerned?
What can I do about it?
What will I do about it?
What kind of data will I gather to show the situation as it unfolds?
How will I explain my educational influences in learning?
How will I ensure that any conclusions I reach are reasonably fair and accurate?
How will I evaluate the validity of the evidence-based account of my learning?
How will I modify my concerns, ideas and practice in the light of my evaluations?

I suggest, you may choose to give these questions to your students. It will help them in writing their research proposal  and also help them in identifying who can be their active participants and what will be their roles and what will be researcher’s own role and responsibilities.

Thanks

Aga