From: Dianne Allen <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, 7 April, 2010 2:43:47
Subject: Re: Design as Research

Chris, Brian and Aga and others interested in this thread,

One of the statements that Schon makes in the preface to The Reflective Practitioner, that I didn't transcribe (p.vii) reads:
When people use terms such as "art" and "intuition", they usually intend to terminate the discussion rather than to open up inquiry.  It is as though the practitioner says to his academic colleague, "While I do not accept your view of knowledge, I cannot describe my own."  Sometimes, indeed, the practitioner appears to say, "My kind of knowledge is indescribable", or even, "I will not attempt to describe it lest I paralyze myself."

Schon goes on to make a case for close observation and description, applied phenomenology even, of practice, to work on articulating these catch-all phrases 'art', 'artistic', 'artistry', 'intuitive' .... (applied phenomenology = p. 309 of Educating the Reflective Practitioner ".. I am concerned .. [with] the reflection-in-action of competent practitioners and the reflection on reflection-in-action of those researchers who seek to develop a phenomenology of practice."; p.320 "There is a need to create or revitalize a phenomenology of practice that includes, as a central component, reflection on the reflection-in-action of practitioners in their organizational settings.   And this phenomenology of practice must be substantively connected to traditional disciplines or risk a bifurcation of the schools"; p.322 "The reflective practicum should include ways in which competent practitioners cope with the constraints of their organizational settings.   The
 phenomenology of practice should enter the practicum via the study of the organizational life of practitioners.   And here a constructionist perspective is critically important; for the phenomena of practice in organizations are crucially determined by the kinds of reality individuals create for themselves, the ways they frame and shape their worlds - and what happens when people with similar and different ways of framing reality come into collision.")

In Guba and Lincoln's list of paradigms (of evaluations) 1981, p.54, 'aesthetic judgement' is separated out from logical, adversarial, modus operandi etc
 When I had finished my thesis, (2005) I took to my sanding machine and some lumps of radiata pine offcuts and worked at shaping them to meet my criteria of aesthetically pleasing .. it included: being a hand-full only; how it felt in my hand - silky; how it pleased the eye - curves, flow, colour, grain; and all  of those things together.  What happened when I took an offcut (from DAR 2*3 radiata pine) and started to sand it, was that I was (a) wanting to remove the rectangular shape of the original; (b) keep as much of the wood as I could; (c) I was only able to work comfortably with the sander with the grain going some ways (otherwise the piece, which was only a small handful would take flight from my soft hold and bounce around the room).  All these factors, together with only being able to stand focused, and still at the sander for a certain length of time, while I processed according to these criteria, came in to play.

A couple of years ago, (possibly 2006/7) my visual artist and art teacher companion decided to put together some papers for grand-nieces and grand-nephews who were trying to draw.  How do you draw animals was their question?  What was written on those pieces of paper were remarks about training hand and eye to compare, to compare relative sizes, ie to measure, but measure using some idiosyncratic tool - the artist's hand or finger or whatever might be at hand, and at a distance, and using the artist's eye, and then to reproduce relative sizes, scaled down, or up, on the paper when the drawing was being developed.  There was also instructions on how to analyse - break down an item into parts, to reproduce the parts, and resynthesise imaginatively, into a different design ... but fundamental to that was the 'measuring' and measuring up to a particular criterion - faithfulness to relationship, and later, in imaginative composition, the application of
 other criteria - balance, contrast ... etc.  Observing that, and making the connection with other kinds of evaluation and research process was a blinding light, not dissimilar to the hearty laugh I had when I found that the qualitative analysis tools like NVivo or NUD.IST, actually reported on 'counts' of occurrence of words or phrases, or codes, for significance!!!!

Jack, and others here at BERA, have found that to observe and describe the practice of a practitioner is difficult, and have taken to capturing live performance of practice on video, tendering that as evidence for all to see, and then talking about it/ theorising from it.

These comments may help.  As I see it, we all have much more to do ...

Dianne Allen
http://contentbuilder.merlot.org/toolkit/users/DiAllen/profinterests
http://ro.uow.edu.au/theses/288/
http://ltc4me.edublogs.org/

Addenda: Notes when writing about Evaluation

In their Fourth Generation Evaluation, Guba and Lincoln track the history of ‘evaluation’ as a discipline, and note the way in which the field has conceived of it, practised it, and gradually adjusted their understanding of it [Guba, 1989 #426].   For Guba and Lincoln the differences between kinds of evaluation and understanding about evaluation, particularly as practised in the educational field, are ‘generational’, and they identify four such generations: Measurement-oriented evaluation (p.22); Description-oriented program evaluation (p.28); Judgment-oriented evaluation where standards to be met are introduced (p.30); Responsive (constructivist) evaluation – the new level, the ‘fourth generation’ – (p.38).

For responsive evaluation the key dynamic is negotiation (p.8).   Negotiation occurs as the participants to the evaluation engage with one another to: (4a) negotiate constructions (p.8); constructions which are (4b) shaped by values (p.8); and (4c) linked to context (p.8); (4d) where the shaping depends on the participants who are representatives of all stakeholders (p.9); (4e) which must have an action orientation (p.10); and (4f) where the evaluator interacts to respect stakeholders (p.10).   Further, for responsive evaluation, Guba and Lincoln indicate that there are four phases which may be re-iterated and may overlap (p.42).   This iterative process, together with the action orientation has the familiar ring of ‘action research’.   Indeed, in the literature there is evidence of action research being used as a form of evaluation [Dick, 2000 #243].

A closer look at Guba and Lincoln’s four phases shows that they also acknowledge that, depending on the matters being evaluated, either quantitative or qualitative methods might be required.   So the fourth generation of evaluation gathers in the other three generations, applying them as and when appropriate.   Which is appropriate, and in what circumstances, is part of what the participants to the evaluation, the stakeholders, are involved in explicitly considering and negotiating.   What is resolved by negotiation (a form of peer dialectic if you will) is dealt with, and if action is the next step then the negotiated action is taken.   What is not resolved by negotiation, either before any intensive investigation is conducted, or after the appropriate information is gathered, analysed and reported, becomes the focus of the second round of the evaluative process.   It is the nature of the ‘bone of contention’ that determines what
 information is collected.   If there are competing claims, information is gathered to test those claims.   If there is a range of concerns, and competing concerns, information is gathered to determine the extent to which such concerns are justified.   If there is a range of issues, and competing issues, information is gathered to support or refute the various sides of the issues.   That is to say, the methodology of fourth generation evaluation, responsive evaluation, acknowledges the need for, and provides for, the use of method appropriate to the investigation [Guba, 1989 #426], pp.41-45.
 ....Evaluation, as the etymology shows, is to do with values.   According to Guba and Lincoln, the first expression of evaluation, in educational practice, as a discipline, was focused on measuring, as in value represented in numbers.   Its second expression was with description, where the limits of quantifying are conceded, and quality is described, and sometimes as a first step to dimensioning, the equivalent of quantifying.   Its third expression recognised the process of judgement – measuring either a quantity, or a quality, against some standard.   Guba and Lincoln’s ‘fourth generation’ begins to concede that the players, in evaluation, have values that inform their analysis and their decision making, informed by analysis, to undertake action.   Further, that for each player in an activity and the evaluation of the activity, the values they choose to invoke to settle uncertainty, may differ between one another, and now for
 collaboration/ cooperation, the difference between these values needs to be negotiated, to some sort of consensus.   The exercise of values, values-in-use, is operative in a method, in its analytical phase.   It is operative in determining what kind of knowledge is being looked for.   Also, the expression of values may well be part of a phenomenon’s nature – it certainly is, when the phenomenon is humankind.   It is in this way that I can ‘see’ that Heron and Reason’s call for axiology, the study of values, to be compounded with ontology, epistemology and methodology [Heron, 2001 #621], has its merit, its reasonableness.
(Allen, unpublished working up to thesis May 2003 draft)

I would also note, that in Guba and Lincoln’s earlier systematising of kinds of inquiry, they indicate a range of different activities, which it seems to me, has some relationship to the history/chronology of the development of understanding about inquiry/research [Guba, 1981 #636].   They identify the following categories of ‘paradigms’: logical, judgmental (aesthetic), adversarial, modus operandi, scientific, demographic, naturalistic [Guba, 1981 #636],p.54.   Further, it is my ‘reading’ of that list that it may be used in a somewhat hierarchical order - if logic solves the question then use logic, if the problem is one of aesthetics then exercise aesthetic judgement, if the problem is not completely amenable to logic or aesthetic then what we use, in order of historic development, would appear to be: adversarial, modus operandi, scientific, demographic, naturalistic.   What I am calling ‘reflective research of practice’ falls
 within the category ‘naturalistic’.   When I am problem solving I try to use logic, adversarial, …, naturalistic, and I am engaged in multiple evaluations/ processes as I evaluate different dimensions of the problem under investigation, in different ways, as Schon indicates is the process of a reflective practitioner [Schon, 1983 #11], p.102, and hopefully I am conducting these multiple evaluations in appropriate ways (Allen, unpublished, working up to thesis August 2004, Methodology chapter draft)
 Guba, E. G., & Lincoln, Y. (1981). Effective Evaluation.
Guba, E. G., & Lincoln, Y. (1989). Fourth Generation Evaluation. Newbury Park, CA: Sage.