From: Practitioner-Researcher [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jack Whitehead
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 7:37 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Design as Research

On 27 Apr 2010, at 21:28, Brian wakeman wrote:

I wondered how interested Jack might be in Art as research?

I'm fascinated by art as research as practiced by Andy Henon, as a socially engaged artist in 'Creativity Works' at http://www.actionresearch.net/writings/henon/creativityworkslowah.pdf

I'm also fascinated by research influenced by Erich Fromm's The Art of Loving and to aesthetic responses to Foucault's and Fromm's point that human beings in the West appear to have lost the art of living.  My own focus in relation to art as research is focused on the art of the educator. I see educators as artists who are seeking to give form to life itself in relation to their own lives and the lives of their students.

I've just agreed to participate in Andy's latest project (I'm hoping that Andy will write something about this soon) and should be able to provide a more developed answer to the question of Art as research in a few months.  The brevity of the answer is because the gate has just opened for my flight from Heathrow over to Chicago for AERA - a 3.00 am start from Bath !

Love Jack.

"This e-mail is subject to our Disclaimer, to view click http://www.dut.ac.za"