You're probably aware that Tomlinson, Bishop, and
late Eliot are irrelevant to a great many
American poets? The North American modernity that
Tomlinson "really understood" wasn't the
modernism of Williams, or Pound, both of whom
have been and continue to be influential within
and beyond the anglophone world, nor of Oppen or
Niedecker and all their descendents.  Maybe you
could explain what you're referring to.

Best,

Mark