My particular definition of poetry is that it is the use of language to rampantly connote. This may not be the classroom definition but it does allow us to separate prose from poetry—not all prose is rampantly connotative.

According to Wikipedia it is: "language used for its aesthetic and evocative qualities in addition to, or in instead of, its apparent meaning". I can go with that definition, also.